Skip to main content

Moving Beyond Weariness

What is this weariness? It is the weight of 400 years of relentless hope while facing the willful ignorance of those who deny the historic and systemic oppression of so many.  Being available for hard conversations is draining yet worth it when someone begins to understand. On the contrary,  there are always those who know more than God.

As for me, I have tasted the freedom that was unjustly denied to my kidnapped and enslaved ancestors. This was not exclusively experienced by my extended family. Unknown numbers of Africans from various tribes were kidnapped, chained, shackled, and transported against their will as cargo to live less than humans in enslavement on this land. What traumas does this experience induce for the human psyche, body, and soul? On what behaviors and practices did they learn to depend for survival? Spend time with those questions.

Born in the post-chattel slavery era of the twentieth century, I know Jim Crow and apartheid from my lived experience. There are also memories of my parents' loving yet firm caution to keep me safe as a Black child. I was too young in the 1960s to remember the joys and sorrows as elders whom I did not know sought to ensure my future, but my body remembers the tension and hopes of the time. 

Yes, there are now laws to protect my civil rights including the right to vote, but racist toxins continue to be prevalent in society. They manifest themselves in covert and overt ways, many of which will continue after my lifetime. Those who worship at the altar of racism, work to ensure the perpetual enshrinement of their privilege. They then photoshop their efforts with coded language that we recognize as dog whistles. 

No matter how well you master the art of not internalizing microagressions, there is no guardrail when a traumatic evil kneels upon your neck and breathing is no longer possible. Such was the callous murder of George Floyd who was buried today after a premature death -  the latest casualty of racism. The shock and disbelief of the horror was a gut punch to each person with a moral compass and the capacity for empathy.

What would it be like to awaken and realize that the pandemic of racism was nothing more than bad dream? Unfortunately, we are 400 years late and too many have lost their lives. Those of us who continue to breathe must educate ourselves on hard truths so that we may effectively resist its advancement and move towards becoming an anti-racist and transformed society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write on Race

No, this is not what I wanted to do.  I did not choose this as my path, but it is the path on which I journey. At this time of my life, it is the path that must be acknowledged and no longer resisted. A deep sigh reveals my coming to terms with the convergence of my lived experience, my gift of words, and this moment in time.  As a citizen of the United States dealing with the heinous and flawed construct of race is inevitable. To speak about it requires inner work that I wanted to avoid. Included in the work is one essential question. Has the racial system been designed to privilege or oppress people? While many of my fellow citizens may  deny that race is relevant to them and in their lives, for those of us who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), the truth of our nation's original sin is our lived experience. It is no secret. My parents sought to shield me and my siblings from the oppression that infiltrated our lives in an apartheid system. Even without th

Rising Above the Cacophony

In my research on Thomas Merton, I have come across a number of references to jazz music. While I appreciate the genre, I am quite far from being an aficionado. A longtime fan of Mary Lou Williams, I was pleased to learn that Merton also shared an appreciation of her musical genius. Then, there was a reference to John Coltrane's Ascension. The Catholic me was quite intrigued by both the title and Merton's fascination with the piece. I promptly went online and ordered the CD. The first time, I listened for less than five minutes as the cacophony of musical instruments reminded me of being in a club in my younger years. Remember when the music was so loud that it was like noise making it difficult to have a conversation? With my second attempt, I was pulled into the experience of hearing the sounds of individual instruments ascend amidst the perceived chaos. It was quite fascinating. As I type, I am listening to this work of Coltrane for the third time. It is having a diffe

Apples and Oranges

Dear Person  with A White Body, Many of you appear to take pride and comfort in denying   white privilege.   You say the struggles  you have experienced prove you have not benefitted from having a white body in this society.    As the old saying goes, you are speaking  of apples and oranges. Personal struggles and  white body privilege are not mutually exclusive.   The concept of white privilege does not mean that you have not experienced hard times. It means the systems and structures of our society were crafted  to benefit people with white bodies.   To be honest, they were created by a few “white” men to benefit some “white” men as with the initial intention of voting being exercised only by white men who owned land.   It did not apply to people considered  to be "property" including the women they married and the people they enslaved.   Denying this reality shows  your inability to think critically about our nation's history,  an absence of the curiosity  to question