Skip to main content

Planting Seeds or Not


So, yesterday was a difficult day for me personally. I received word that a deacon had offered an "excellent homily on racism." To provide a setting for you, I am speaking about my hometown parish where I was the only Black child and the only child of color among those making their First Holy Communion in the spring of 1966 in a racially segregated society. The only parish in town may have also been the only integrated church in the predominantly Christian town. After being away for many years, I returned home to care for my mother and, consequently, to the parish.  

How could I not rush to access the recording of the livestreamed liturgy to receive a balm for my weary soul in this time when we are confronting two pandemics: Covid-19, and the legacy of 400 years of white supremacy?Unfortunately, it did not take long for me to realize that my thirst was not going to be quenched nor my soul soothed by the deacon's words. Early in the homily, he stated: "I feel that most of us in our Church, do not espouse racism, yet it is a very apparent wrong within our country ~ and no race, color, or creed is innocent.

In preparation for this homily, I spent last week talking to many of my friends and coworkers regarding their life experiences, and most had experienced some form of racism - some more than others.

This was true whether they be White, African-American, Asian, Native American, or Central or South American. 

Most had been the target of some type of nasty racist verbal or physical attack."

After sharing the experiences of a variety of people from different racial and/or ethnic backgrounds, he continued: "[R]acism is exhibited in all races in some way, shape, or form. It is not the prejudice or injustice of any single race."

By that point my stomach was well knotted. I chose the wise path and stopped listening to the recording. A Catholic for more than 50 years, for the first time, I wrote an email expressing my concerns. I explained that while I can be prejudiced against someone, as an African-American I have not the capacity to be racist because of the structuring of our society. It was not received well. While my efforts appear to have been futile, I did what was mine to do by attempting to plant seeds.

To clarify, telling African-Americans that racism is the same as prejudice is like telling Jewish people that the holocaust did not happen, telling Armenians that they did not experience a genocide, telling Indigenous Americans that Christopher Columbus discovered America, or telling naturalized citizens that they are not real Americans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write on Race

No, this is not what I wanted to do.  I did not choose this as my path, but it is the path on which I journey. At this time of my life, it is the path that must be acknowledged and no longer resisted. A deep sigh reveals my coming to terms with the convergence of my lived experience, my gift of words, and this moment in time.  As a citizen of the United States dealing with the heinous and flawed construct of race is inevitable. To speak about it requires inner work that I wanted to avoid. Included in the work is one essential question. Has the racial system been designed to privilege or oppress people? While many of my fellow citizens may  deny that race is relevant to them and in their lives, for those of us who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), the truth of our nation's original sin is our lived experience. It is no secret. My parents sought to shield me and my siblings from the oppression that infiltrated our lives in an apartheid system. Even ...

The Conviction of Her Spirit

Darnella did not seek this trauma, but like so many of our ancestors  she was thrust into a situation  forever altering her understanding of humanity and man's grave capacity to embrace evil and disregard the dignity of another. That she had the wherewithal to suspend herself in time and place for eight minutes and forty-six seconds  to capture George's final struggle with death by a callous and cold-hearted aphyxiation,  speaks to the conviction of her spirit .  It is through such selfless acts that lived experience cannot be denied and we choose to bend the moral arc of the universe closer towards justice all because of one person's courage in the face of profound injustice.

Matilda McCrear: The Last Living Survivor of the Transatlantic Slave Trade

Upon my birth, the State of Alabama identified me as "colored." In my lifetime, our label has moved from "colored" to "Negro" to "Black" to "African-American." These identifiers were initially used to ensure we would be reminded constantly that in the eyes of the law we were neither fully human nor full citizens. As a child, I remember the sense of pride in proclaiming "Black Power" and "I'm Black and I'm proud" as statements of resistance to the common narrative even if only at home with our parents. The Black Lives Matter movement is a proclamation of another truth long denied as we demand the undoing of white supremacy. My elders affirmed our inherent God-given dignity as they shared their lived experiences of blatant oppression as descendants of enslaved Africans. As a child, the kidnapping and enslavement of my  ancestors seemed parts of the distant past as did the Emancipation Proclamation. Most of my g...