Skip to main content

Rising Above the Cacophony



In my research on Thomas Merton, I have come across a number of references to jazz music. While I appreciate the genre, I am quite far from being an aficionado. A longtime fan of Mary Lou Williams, I was pleased to learn that Merton also shared an appreciation of her musical genius. Then, there was a reference to John Coltrane's Ascension. The Catholic me was quite intrigued by both the title and Merton's fascination with the piece. I promptly went online and ordered the CD.

The first time, I listened for less than five minutes as the cacophony of musical instruments reminded me of being in a club in my younger years. Remember when the music was so loud that it was like noise making it difficult to have a conversation? With my second attempt, I was pulled into the experience of hearing the sounds of individual instruments ascend amidst the perceived chaos. It was quite fascinating.

As I type, I am listening to this work of Coltrane for the third time. It is having a different impact on me tonight as our nation continues to grapple with its history of white supremacy. So many have seen the unjust murder of George Floyd by a law enforcement officer and are united in recognizing it as another form of a public lynching. In the midst of a pandemic, people are protesting not only this senseless death but also the defective system of the nation that claims to be a beacon of liberty. In each of the fifty states and in other nations, people are outraged over the legacy that contaminates the present. They know this was not an isolated incident as Mr. Floyd's name has been added to a long list including Emmitt Till, James Chaney, Andrew Goodwin, Michael Schwerner, Viola Liuzzo, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, Philando Castille, Sandra Bland, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, my great-great-grandfather, Thomas Williams, the 4,000 souls remembered at the National Memorial for Peace and Justice in Montgomery, and countless others, many known only to God.  

Even with a seemingly universally united chorus, there is a cacophony of dissenting voices of those who refuse to acknowledge about the reality of racism in the lived experiences of Black, indigenous, and people of color. They are a perilous distraction as they dilute the impact of white body supremacy by falsely stating that everyone is capable of being racist. This is simply untrue. I as an African-American can be prejudiced or biased against a person who identifies as white, but the historic development of systems and structures that sought to exclude me have weighted the scales in such a manner that I cannot be racist against a white person. Whether in a pulpit, a classroom, or a board room, these voices impede the work that is required to honestly advance the cause of justice. 

It is important for activists and allies to know  these voices are present, and to discern when and if to engage them. Meanwhile, may the noble truth of our convictions empower us to ascend above the cacophony until it is replaced with the harmony of peace through the justice we demand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write on Race

No, this is not what I wanted to do.  I did not choose this as my path, but it is the path on which I journey. At this time of my life, it is the path that must be acknowledged and no longer resisted. A deep sigh reveals my coming to terms with the convergence of my lived experience, my gift of words, and this moment in time.  As a citizen of the United States dealing with the heinous and flawed construct of race is inevitable. To speak about it requires inner work that I wanted to avoid. Included in the work is one essential question. Has the racial system been designed to privilege or oppress people? While many of my fellow citizens may  deny that race is relevant to them and in their lives, for those of us who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), the truth of our nation's original sin is our lived experience. It is no secret. My parents sought to shield me and my siblings from the oppression that infiltrated our lives in an apartheid system. Even ...

Matilda McCrear: The Last Living Survivor of the Transatlantic Slave Trade

Upon my birth, the State of Alabama identified me as "colored." In my lifetime, our label has moved from "colored" to "Negro" to "Black" to "African-American." These identifiers were initially used to ensure we would be reminded constantly that in the eyes of the law we were neither fully human nor full citizens. As a child, I remember the sense of pride in proclaiming "Black Power" and "I'm Black and I'm proud" as statements of resistance to the common narrative even if only at home with our parents. The Black Lives Matter movement is a proclamation of another truth long denied as we demand the undoing of white supremacy. My elders affirmed our inherent God-given dignity as they shared their lived experiences of blatant oppression as descendants of enslaved Africans. As a child, the kidnapping and enslavement of my  ancestors seemed parts of the distant past as did the Emancipation Proclamation. Most of my g...

My Anger

Anger drains me -- emotionally and physically. It is an act of violence against myself and I try not to experience it intensely for this reason. The celebration or glorification of the culture of violence angers me especially when it is done by a person who has been given authority. A priest in my archdiocese posting a photo on social media of himself holding an automatic firearm, a weapon of war, while wearing his clerical collar angers me greatly. As a Black woman in a southern state, I am aware of the use of law and order rhetoric as a racist trope as is the priest's expressed intention of "protecting my people and property."  We also live in a period when stand your ground laws are used to justify murder. Sadly, I remember the murder of a child, Tamir Rice, who was killed because he was a Black boy playing with a toy gun.  There are many people who respect firearms and use them for hunting and sport. They understand and respect the deadly force at their fingertip. Gro...