Skip to main content

Matilda McCrear: The Last Living Survivor of the Transatlantic Slave Trade

Upon my birth, the State of Alabama identified me as "colored." In my lifetime, our label has moved from "colored" to "Negro" to "Black" to "African-American." These identifiers were initially used to ensure we would be reminded constantly that in the eyes of the law we were neither fully human nor full citizens. As a child, I remember the sense of pride in proclaiming "Black Power" and "I'm Black and I'm proud" as statements of resistance to the common narrative even if only at home with our parents. The Black Lives Matter movement is a proclamation of another truth long denied as we demand the undoing of white supremacy.

My elders affirmed our inherent God-given dignity as they shared their lived experiences of blatant oppression as descendants of enslaved Africans. As a child, the kidnapping and enslavement of my  ancestors seemed parts of the distant past as did the Emancipation Proclamation. Most of my great-great-grandparents had been enslaved and considered to be property. My not knowing them made their experiences appear far removed from mine.

In reality, I was born less than 100 years after the Civil War. Two months ago, even this thought was shattered when I learned of Matilda McCrear.  On January 1, 1808, a law took effect prohibiting the importing of enslaved Africans. Fifty years later, the owner of the Clotilda, a ship used in the slave trade, was confident he could bring in a load of kidnapped Africans through Mobile Bay as human cargo.

Matilda McCrear was one of these persons. She was kidnapped in her native West Africa as a toddler along with her mother and siblings. They were transported as human cargo on the Clotilda's last run arriving in Alabama in 1859 or 1860. Having lived approximately 80 years on this land that celebrated white supremacy, she died in 1940.

1940? This means that Matilda McCrear lived within 20 years of my birth. In my childhood, this period of time would have seemed so long. Now, it feels like yesterday. As millions of others before her, a child was kidnapped, taken through the Door of No Return, thrown into the Middle Passage, and thrust into the abomination known as chattel slavery. She would have tasted the promise of Reconstruction before the birth of Jim Crow extinguished it.

Matilda McCrear was the last known living survivor of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. I cannot verbalize how jolting it was to realize that our breathing the air of Alabama was separated by less than two decades. Her lived experience still brings me to tears. There is something in my physical being that reacts to this reality. Our lives do not exist in a vacuum. History is truly present even when the dominant group prefers  to deny or omit it. The life of Matilda McCrear and countless others underscores the urgency of the Black Lives Matter movement today, now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write on Race

No, this is not what I wanted to do.  I did not choose this as my path, but it is the path on which I journey. At this time of my life, it is the path that must be acknowledged and no longer resisted. A deep sigh reveals my coming to terms with the convergence of my lived experience, my gift of words, and this moment in time.  As a citizen of the United States dealing with the heinous and flawed construct of race is inevitable. To speak about it requires inner work that I wanted to avoid. Included in the work is one essential question. Has the racial system been designed to privilege or oppress people? While many of my fellow citizens may  deny that race is relevant to them and in their lives, for those of us who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), the truth of our nation's original sin is our lived experience. It is no secret. My parents sought to shield me and my siblings from the oppression that infiltrated our lives in an apartheid system. Even without th

My Anger

Anger drains me -- emotionally and physically. It is an act of violence against myself and I try not to experience it intensely for this reason. The celebration or glorification of the culture of violence angers me especially when it is done by a person who has been given authority. A priest in my archdiocese posting a photo on social media of himself holding an automatic firearm, a weapon of war, while wearing his clerical collar angers me greatly. As a Black woman in a southern state, I am aware of the use of law and order rhetoric as a racist trope as is the priest's expressed intention of "protecting my people and property."  We also live in a period when stand your ground laws are used to justify murder. Sadly, I remember the murder of a child, Tamir Rice, who was killed because he was a Black boy playing with a toy gun.  There are many people who respect firearms and use them for hunting and sport. They understand and respect the deadly force at their fingertip. Gro

Planting Seeds or Not

So, yesterday was a difficult day for me personally. I received word that a deacon had offered an "excellent homily on racism." To provide a setting for you, I am speaking about my hometown parish where I was the only Black child and the only child of color among those making their First Holy Communion in the spring of 1966 in a racially segregated society. The only parish in town may have also been the only integrated church in the predominantly Christian town.  After being away for many years, I returned home to care for my mother and, consequently, to the parish.   How could I not rush to access the recording of the livestreamed liturgy to receive a balm for my weary soul in this time when we are confronting two pandemics: Covid-19, and the legacy of 400 years of white supremacy? Unfortunately, it did not take long for me to realize that my thirst was not going to be quenched nor my soul soothed by the deacon's words. Early in the homily, he stated: " I feel th