Skip to main content

The Intersections of Who I Am

I am a human being born and living on the planet earth. That is the most general description of who I am and in this moment it applies to more than six billion others. However, there are so many descriptors, terms and experiences that shape how I perceive the world around me, and how others perceive me. 

My family has lived on land referred to as Turtle Island by the First Nations for 400 years. Where I live was once the land of the Muscogee Creek. My first African ancestors arrived against their will as cargo on what is now known as the United States of America. I am also the descendent of people from the European continent, specifically England and Germany. Because of the sacrifice and struggles of others, I live as a citizen of the United States.

I am the descendent of people primarily from the African continent with no ancestral memory of the tribes or nations. Somehow, they managed to survive the Middle Passage, chattel slavery, and Jim Crow.  My grandparents were Lessie and Quincy, and Flora and Thomas. Each lived their own path that impacts me. 

To whom, where, and when I was born provide a context to my life. In 1958, I was born the daughter of Alma and Thomas with a female body and named Leslye Alise long before knowing that I was heterosexual and cisgendered. My state-sanctioned birth certificate identifies me and each of my parents as "Colored". In time, I was joined by a brother, Thomas, and a sister, Angela Denise.

Born into a Protestant Christian family who converted to Catholicism, I recognize the unspoken privilege of living in a nation where the largest percent of the populace self-identifies as Christian. I also acknowledge the violence throughout history perpetuated by those who share my faith tradition. This violence contradicts the Gospel of Christ that teaches love of God and neighbor.

Exploring each of these threads is the result of a natural curiosity encouraged by my parents. Spending time with questions as they arise leads me to a deeper understanding of myself as a person. Pondering the role of history, family, and faith in my life provides a broader understanding of the context in which my life unfolds. It helps me see what is true and the movement of the Divine across time and space.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write on Race

No, this is not what I wanted to do.  I did not choose this as my path, but it is the path on which I journey. At this time of my life, it is the path that must be acknowledged and no longer resisted. A deep sigh reveals my coming to terms with the convergence of my lived experience, my gift of words, and this moment in time.  As a citizen of the United States dealing with the heinous and flawed construct of race is inevitable. To speak about it requires inner work that I wanted to avoid. Included in the work is one essential question. Has the racial system been designed to privilege or oppress people? While many of my fellow citizens may  deny that race is relevant to them and in their lives, for those of us who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), the truth of our nation's original sin is our lived experience. It is no secret. My parents sought to shield me and my siblings from the oppression that infiltrated our lives in an apartheid system. Even without th

Rising Above the Cacophony

In my research on Thomas Merton, I have come across a number of references to jazz music. While I appreciate the genre, I am quite far from being an aficionado. A longtime fan of Mary Lou Williams, I was pleased to learn that Merton also shared an appreciation of her musical genius. Then, there was a reference to John Coltrane's Ascension. The Catholic me was quite intrigued by both the title and Merton's fascination with the piece. I promptly went online and ordered the CD. The first time, I listened for less than five minutes as the cacophony of musical instruments reminded me of being in a club in my younger years. Remember when the music was so loud that it was like noise making it difficult to have a conversation? With my second attempt, I was pulled into the experience of hearing the sounds of individual instruments ascend amidst the perceived chaos. It was quite fascinating. As I type, I am listening to this work of Coltrane for the third time. It is having a diffe

Planting Seeds or Not

So, yesterday was a difficult day for me personally. I received word that a deacon had offered an "excellent homily on racism." To provide a setting for you, I am speaking about my hometown parish where I was the only Black child and the only child of color among those making their First Holy Communion in the spring of 1966 in a racially segregated society. The only parish in town may have also been the only integrated church in the predominantly Christian town.  After being away for many years, I returned home to care for my mother and, consequently, to the parish.   How could I not rush to access the recording of the livestreamed liturgy to receive a balm for my weary soul in this time when we are confronting two pandemics: Covid-19, and the legacy of 400 years of white supremacy? Unfortunately, it did not take long for me to realize that my thirst was not going to be quenched nor my soul soothed by the deacon's words. Early in the homily, he stated: " I feel th